Kids Jiu-Jitsu Frequently Asked QuestionsBefore contacting us, please browse our FAQ.
What kind of clothes should my child wear to class?
Your child should wear any type of athletic clothing.
Does my child need a GI?
If your child is new to jiu-jitsu and doesn’t have a GI yet, we have loaner GIs available for him/her. If you decide to sign your child up for our Kids Program, you will be responsible for eventually purchasing a GI of your own.
Is jiu-jitsu safe for kids?
Safety is our number one priority in the Bay Jiu-Jitsu Kids Program.
While training, we encourage kids to tap quickly once they feel pressure or are uncomfortable. Our instructors do not tolerate any students who behave disrespectfully and/or put their own or another student’s well-being at risk.
If your child has pre-existing injuries, let the instructor know and accommodations will be made for him/her to train effectively and safely.
How do belt promotions work?
Junior belts are white with a colored stripe going down the center of the belt. Each level has 4 stripes that are awarded with attendance. The number of attendance points necessary to earn a stripe increases as the belts advance. Once students have earned 3 black stripes and 1 stripe of the color of their next belt, they become eligible to test for their next belt.
Read more about our Kids Jiu-Jitsu Junior Belt System.
Do you offer 1 class a week memberships for kids?
- Kids have a significantly harder time developing muscle memory of the moves in both their technique and sparring.
- Kids are under-prepared for both in-house and out-of-house tournaments.
- Kids are promoted through the Kids Junior Belt System at a much slower pace than the rest of the class which affects their self-esteem.
- All other kids come to at least 2 classes a week. If some kids only come to 1 class a week, it forces the rest of the class to progress at a slower pace through the curriculum.
- At Bay Jiu-Jitsu, we hold all of our kids accountable to a certain level of jiu-jitsu proficiency after training in the Bay Jiu-Jitsu Kids Program. We want all of our kids to feel successful and reap the benefits of doing a martial art well, and we believe this can not be accomplished with just 1 class a week.
Get Your Kid Started!
Be amazed at how your kid’s confidence, attentiveness, and coordination improves as he/she progresses through the Bay Jiu-Jitsu Kids Program.